Tuesday 15 October 2013

Even blindness and poverty doesn't matter ahead great passion ( captain of Indian blind cricket team )

 " The only thing worse than being blind is sight with no vision " -Helen Keller


Name             : Shekhar Naiyak
Birth               : Shimoga district ,Karnatka in  1986
Occupation     : The all rounder of Indian blind cricket team
   
He hails from economically weak & less privileged family . He suffered from complete blindness  for about 8 years . It was genetically transfered .His mother  and grandmother suffered from same disorder .
  His keen interest in cricket was not supported by            his family but he kept his interest always alive which
led him up to  captain of  Indian blind cricket team, who
 won T20 world cup in 2012 .

Here he tells his story himself :
I am totally blind by birth .
In 1994 ,I slipped into a canal that was turning point of  my life.  Some people had come down from Bangalore for eye camp in our town ,i underwent an eye check up and got to know that i could get back my sight since my retina was in right condition ,they advised my mom and  me to go to Bangalore to get eye operated . The operation was successful and my right eye got 60 % vision but nothing could be done for my left eye , i realised that " Whatever happens, happens for right " . Falling into canal was really turning point of my life .
           My father expired after 3 month i got vision .
In year 1997 i started playing cricket in blind school where i was admitted by my mom . This school was  in village of shimoga . I played for state level from my school as a wicket keeper .
       As we were in village ,there were many kids who were uneducated .They used to fun my blindness all day long .Due to blindness they never allowed me to played with them . My mom was severely hurt due to all the instances that took place .
    Great encouragement  by my mom " You want to play cricket , you have to achieve something in this field as well " Because in our community no one could think to go beyond education .
   I can't forget the training in school by physical trainer . The moment i missed shots or played bad , i was beated black and blue.
   January 2nd 1998   was most shocking day of my life ,my mom passed away and i was completely alone . I had no care taker at all . I  was not able to think that how would i survive . I was completely broken as i had nobody to even console me . Though my mom was blind , she used to go to farms & work to generate income to feed me . My school was 9 km away from my house . She used to come by walk in order to  save money and buy me a packet of biscuits . During summer vacation (April -may ) everyone used to go to their home town with their parents but i had none . I used to feel horrible sad & very frustrated . I used to hit against wall in that anger with GOD because he had snatched both my mother and father from me .From grade 5 , I started spending all my vacations  of two months with my uncle .
  I used to earn about RS 1000 (INR) to 1500 (INR) and could afford my food and clothing with that for whole year .
              I never reduced my passion in cricket . In 2001 i got man of the series in an under -18 cricket tournament happened in Hyderabad . that was stepping stone in my life . By this success i got chance to play for world cup of Indian blind cricket team in 2002.  In the world cup i was awarded man of the match twice against Australian and srilanka . We reached  up to semifinal . Philips company promised me to take me to south Africa in order to encouraged me .They made my passport also but they didn't take me at all .
 In Year 2004 , we went Pakistan to play series with Pakistan . I scored 198 runs against Pakistan that was my highest international score.
 In 2005 Pakistan came India i bagged man of match once again .
In 2010 i was chosen as captain for Indian cricket team for blind .
 In 2012 we won T20 world cup for the blind .
 Personal  life I know what it mean to be in dark . I know what it means when the world enjoys day and night & you have no clue what light means. I am married to Roopa who is classical dancer . she is also visually challenged . When my daughter was of 17 month she  got blindness problem but with instant operation she can now see the colourful world .
  " Life was challenging , Life is challenging , & would be challenging ever "
 This great Inspirational real story is featured in  Iu emagzine . For more details go to April month of Magzine by clicking below link
      http://www.iuemag.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment